Monday, June 23, 2008

A Year Ago

MY FATHER WAS AN AMAZING MAN.
THE OLDER I GOT, THE SMARTER HE GOT
MARK TWAIN

I can't believe it has already been a year since my Dad passed away. His anniversary was on June 14th, the day before Father's Day. I can't believe how much I've already not been able to share with him. I miss talking to him on our weekly Sunday calls and I know my sisters feel the same way. I'm glad that I was in California during this past week so that I could spend some time with one of the sisters at his grave site. I'm sure he knew we were there and thinking about him.

One of my favorite memories of my dad was from a very long time ago. Over the years I've done a lot of running and competing. If at all possible, my dad would always be at my races. When I was in elementary school and just starting with my running, I can remember running the 440 race. It is 1 lap around the track and not one of my favorites as there is really no pacing involved - you sprint and go as fast as you can the whole way. As I came around the last part of the lap, I could see the stands. My dad was at the bottom, in the very front, cheering me on. I couldn't hear him but I could see him.

He was there for me!
He was standing for me!
He was cheering for me!


This is who my dad was for me. He was not perfect but I never doubted that he loved me, that he was proud of me and that he believed in me. I could do and be what ever I set my mind to.

Thank you Dad for that wonderful legacy!

3 comments:

ede said...

Janice, I'm sorry you are missing your dad, but glad you have such good memories. I'm sorry we did not see more of you, but it was great to see all of you sunday night. You are such a cute family. I hope your trip was great.

jennifer said...

What great memories! And I know you are passing that same feeling on to your girls!

Moody Family... said...

Lucky you to have so many great memories!
I didn't see you while in CA. Next time stop by!!! I would love to see everyone.