
Scott and I were asked to speak in church the weekend before Thanksgiving. Our topic was Giving Thanks Daily. I spoke before Scott and I mainly talked about some of the lessons I've learned in life.

I talked about my parent's closet growing up and how my sister and I use to play dare by running into the closet and touching a scary mask. How the closet held a lot of special things like my parents fancy clothes, the bullet taken from my dad's leg during the Korean War and his dog tags, our family pictures and a family Bible handed down from many generations. The Bible was very old and worn but not worn from use but worn from time.
1. I'm grateful that I have my own Bible and Book of Mormon scripture that I can read daily and that they are worn out by use and not just time. I'm grateful that I have a growing understanding of their value and that they are not stored way on a shelf in a closet.

I talked about my time at BYU and how my freshman year we had church early and I usually didn't want to get up and go. I usually tried to sleep in. I told how one Sunday the Bishop came over to the dorm and got all of us slackers out of bed and gave us a 'talk'. I remember the feelings I had more than his words. I began to be taught and understand the value of not only knowing the truth but learning to live it.
I also remember that same year climbing the fence to the tennis courts on a Sunday, so I could play tennis. No school or anybody else for that matter was going to tell me what I could and could not do on Sunday. I'll show them, I'll just climb the locked fence and play.
I have not always in the past had the same desire that is in my heart today to know and understand and do the Lords will.
2. I'm grateful for guidelines and/or standards that help me progress as well as wonderful leaders that are not scared to give needed council or nudges to get me back on track. 2 years later I was called as first counselor in the Relief Society Presidency.

I showed a fancy hanger I have. It came from the first outfit I bought when our little Caroline came to live with us. I spoke on how perishes things are treated differently. I spoke on feeling the Spirit and the pursuit of happiness.
3. I am grateful to serve now as the Relief Society President. That I have an opportunity to be surrounded by wonderful leaders and hear and learn so much by my current calling. That I am learning how important it is to seek opportunities to feel the spirit and by feeling the spirit you will want to be feel it again and again and again.

And though I didn't speak of this during my talk - I am so grateful for my husband and my wonderful girls! My life is full of so much joy because of them. I put this group of pictures here because some things that are so frustrating can be so cute at the same time and I know will be so fleeting.
It is very hard to do the dishes when Ava is around. She is tall enough and confident enough now to climb up and explore. As soon as you open the dishwasher door, Ava comes running over and starts grabbing. I've now started doing the bottom section first and always put a couple of items in first that she can take, like plastic plates. She takes them and runs away leaving me a few minutes to try and load what I have ready. Then she comes back and starts climbing to see what's on top. It is really cute but also very madding at the same time. Doing the dishes is not something I want to stretch out but something I know I'll miss when she has grown past it.
4. I'm grateful daily for my life, my body, my health, that I am able to enjoy the love that surrounds me, My Love, My Heart and My LIFE - My Husband and My Girls.
2 comments:
Sounds like it was a great talk! Wish we could have been there!
Love the photos! :)
What wonderful thoughts. It sounds like a very good talk that would have made me weep like a little baby, or a proud mom.
Cute pictures of the little rascal.
Post a Comment