Thursday, February 21, 2008

Saying Good-bye to a Faithful Friend



We just found out from the vet, that Dakota has cancer of the spine. For the last two weeks, he has not been walking to well and displaying a lot of pain with his back legs as he attempted to get around. At first, we thought it was just due to the cold weather but as he continued to get worse, we thought he might have licked some antifreeze from the garage. I think Scott and I are relieved to know at least we didn't cause this as that would be very hard to bare.

The vet sent us home with some pain medicine so we could spend some time with him before we have to say good-bye. We are hoping to have at least another week with him but it will all depend on how he is doing. It is so hard to let him go. He has been an awesome dog and we will miss him so much.

The sad part is that we know Boris will be following very soon behind him. His tumors are getting so big that he also has trouble getting around. The difference is that Boris is still such a happy and energetic dog. When he looks at me, I can still see that puppy like excitement. I feel like he has so much life still in him but the tumors are cutting it short.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww... your sad news just made me want to cry. I am sad for Dakota and for Boris.... and especially for all of you! I am so glad that you have had those fun, sweet dogs in your lives and that you still have a little time left with both of them.

Askie is turning 12 next month, and while he is in good shape now, I know that could change any day. Hopefully it will be a little while still. :(

Give some hugs and kisses to Dakota and Boris for me!

Shelly said...

So sorry to hear the sad news... I know how much you love them.

ede said...

hard to loose your faithful friends, sorry to hear about it.